Greetings

I am an emerging fiction writer living in Chicago. While I am a Luddite, I am using the forum because I love to meet new people, especially fellow artists, and learn new things.

Anyone interested in reading my published work can access it through the link under the My Web Site header on this blog. My short story "Life Goes on Without Me" recently won an honorable mention from Conclave: A Journal of Chracter's 2009 Fiction Contest. I am currently working on a novel, new short stories, and a creative non-fiction essay. My friend T.E. Russell has encouraged me to write a screenplay.

And as always, I am still submitting, submitting, submitting.

I look forward to meeting and reading from you.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook


I learned about The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing when I was nineteen after I read Erica Jong's Fear of Flying.  Jong is my favorite writer and poet, and her work and life have inspired me throughout the past nineteen years.  I aspire to be like her in my writing and life -- fearless!

So why did it take me this long to read The Golden Notebook?  I have started to read it all the way through and am blown away by Lessing's prose and the story's complexity.  However, I did pick it up months after I finished Fear of Flying but put it down.  I have picked it up at various times but for one reason or another I did not finish it.

But now I am reading it voraciously.  Why did it take me so long?  Perhaps I wasn't ready for Lessing's masterpiece at nineteen or in my early twenties, mid-twenties, or early thirties.  Perhaps I needed maturity and time to grow as a writer and a person.  Jong's life is different than mine as well as her childhood, adolescence, and college experience.  We come from different experiences.  I can't be too hard on myself.  Or should I be?  I have read and  heard interviews from people who say that sometimes they were not ready for a book at a certain age or periods in their lives.  Has anyone else ever had this experience or read The Golden Notebook?

No comments: