Greetings

I am an emerging fiction writer living in Chicago. While I am a Luddite, I am using the forum because I love to meet new people, especially fellow artists, and learn new things.

Anyone interested in reading my published work can access it through the link under the My Web Site header on this blog. My short story "Life Goes on Without Me" recently won an honorable mention from Conclave: A Journal of Chracter's 2009 Fiction Contest. I am currently working on a novel, new short stories, and a creative non-fiction essay. My friend T.E. Russell has encouraged me to write a screenplay.

And as always, I am still submitting, submitting, submitting.

I look forward to meeting and reading from you.

Friday, April 2, 2010

A Question of Balance: Artists and Writers on Motherhood

Sorry I have not posted in a while.  Of course life is hectic right now, and I know it will become even more hectic after "la bimba" arrives in August.  Luckily, a number of years ago I learned of a book that I gave to my friend Eileen Favorite after she had her first baby.

A Question of Balanace:  Artists and Writers on Motherhood compiles interviews and features of various women artists and writers, such as Rita Dove, Mary Gordon, Sarah Charlesworth, Linda Vallejo, Rosellen Brown (one of my former SAIC advisors), and Dorothy Allison. 

In each feature, the artists, literary and visual, recount their creative life before having a baby and afterward.  Though they all talked about sleep deprivation and the demands of raising a child or children, they also encouraged female artists to have a baby if that is what they want.  Many of them remarked how having a baby pushed their art forward.  The key is balance and respecting your time for creation as well as your child's time for healthy development.  Bill and I have talked of teaching our daughter that when Mama is writing she is not to be disturbed unless it is an emergency.  We hope this will teach her to respect her own time for work as well.

This book is a must-read for any artist who had children or is thinking of having children.  The book was written by Judith Pierce Rosenberg.  While it is out of print, copies can be purchased through used book stores.

2 comments:

Daniel Dragomirescu said...

Interesting. Congratulations!
Daniel D. Peaceman, editor of CHMagazine

Beulah said...

Thank you, Daniel. I am trying to send you an e-mail without any luck. Hope you receive this. I am following your blog now.